Over time windows naturally get dirty from dust in the air, birds flying by and bugs taking refuge. Keeping them clean is essential to ensure they continue working as they should, but how should you clean aluminium windows without damaging them? Get your marigolds on and take a look at our top tips!
If your frames are powder-coated, as they will be if purchased from Stellar, they are specifically designed to need little upkeep. The quality of the powder coating is exactly what protects the frame from scratches, abrasions and permanent marks.
How often you clean your windows is dependent on your personal preferences. As a general guide, cleaning the glass every month and cleaning the frames every two months will keep them free from dirt and looking their best.
Streaky windows are often an issue after cleaning and there are lots of different theories as to the best way to reduce streaks. If you find streaks a consistent problem you could try some of the following techniques or solutions to help:
Clean your windows on a cloudy day
The sun can prematurely dry the windows, leaving marks.
Use a squeegee
Professional window cleaners generally use two types of squeegees – a soft sponge squeegee for an initial clean followed by a more precise, rubber squeegee to get rid of streaks.
1. Wipe the frames with a non-abrasive cloth or sponge soaked in warm water and a mild household detergent suitable for metal surfaces. Don’t use any heavy-duty household cleaners as these may compromise the finish of your window and cause damage.
2. For stubborn stains, try using an ink rubber. If the stain doesn’t start to shift easily, don’t keep scrubbing away as you may cause damage.
3. Dry the frames with a soft cloth.
1. Use a hose to spray down the frames with water to remove any winter dirt.
2. Scrub the frames with a mild detergent solution (the same you have used on the inside of the frames) to remove the rest of the dirt.
3. Wipe down the frames with a damp cloth to make sure dirty water doesn’t drip down to the bottom of the frames and dry there.
Here at Stellar Aluminium, our slim sightlines are 12% more glass than your average so you’ll want to keep them clean so that you can enjoy the outside and natural light.
For decades, we’ve been at the forefront of product development and our ideas have been rewriting the way in which windows and doors are made. So…
Get in touch with our team today!
Stellar is the innovative, award-winning aluminium system that sets new standards. It revolutionises aluminium windows with its unique reverse butt joint. It's faster to fabricate, saves materials, and reduces stockholding. It's adaptable, attractive, simple to install, and maintenance requirements are minimal.Let's talk!